Spring Trip Preview Series: Watercolors on the Bayou

By Amelia Eldridge

One of the trips I am most looking forward to this spring is our increasingly-popular ‘Watercolors on the Bayou’ day adventure! I led it for my first time this last spring with co-Adventure Leader Lindsey Segal, and this past fall with co-Adventure Leader Annie Thai, and each trip has been such a magical and memorable day out on the breath-taking marshes of Jean Laffitte!

The Rundown: A quick half-hour drive takes you completely out of the city and into the beautiful Barataria Preserve within the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve system. We hike through the wild wetlands and gain inspiration for our paintings before sitting down at the end of one of the boardwalks to paint, eat snacks, and watch for wildlife. All the supplies, transportation, and snacks are included. We then hike back and return to campus. The trip usually lasts around 4 hours in total.

Why I Love This Trip: I love this trip because it combines two of my favorite activities – hiking and watercolors! I have never been particularly good at painting at all, but I still have fun trying to capture the beauty of my surroundings while meeting other fellow outdoor-lovers! Getting out of the city to explore the wetlands is always such a stress-reliever, and I loved creating a memento of its beauty.

Last fall: Sometimes the weather does not cooperate – but we didn’t let a little (or a lot) of rain stop us! We definitely put the water in watercolors!

About the Author

Name: Amelia Eldridge

Year in School: Senior

Major: Neuroscience + Public Health

Hometown: Oakland, CA

Favorite Outdoor Activity: Anything in the water or in the mountains!

Favorite Camp Food: Trail Mix

Ideal Outdoor Trip Destination: Koroyanitu National Park, Fiji

If you were stranded on a desert island, what/who would you bring with you: Bear Grylls and some Chex mix